Florian Insurance Inc. Blog
When the next flood comes, will you be ready? With our Florida flood insurance agency, learn to be protected!
According to the Department of Homeland Security, there are multiple steps that need to be taken in case of a flood. Floods are one of the most common hazards in the United States and the effects can be local, impacting a neighborhood or community. In order to be prepared at any moment, you and your family should take protective measures, which occur both before and after a flood.
To prepare for a flood, you should:
- Elevate the furnace, water heater, and electric panel if susceptible to flooding.
- Construct barriers (levees, beams, floodwalls) to stop floodwater from entering the building.
- Seal walls in basements with waterproofing compounds to avoid seepage.
If a flood is likely in your area, you should:
- Listen to the radio or television for information.
- Be aware that flash flooding can occur. If there is any possibility of a flash flood, move immediately to higher ground. Do not wait for instructions to move.
The following are guidelines for the period following a flood:
- Listen for news reports to learn whether the community’s water supply is safe to drink.
- Avoid floodwaters; water may be contaminated by oil, gasoline, or raw sewage. Water may also be electrically charged from underground or downed power lines.
- Return home only when authorities indicate it is safe.
- Clean and disinfect everything that got wet. Mud left from floodwater can contain sewage and chemicals.
Our Florida flood insurance agency is here to help you in the most severe of weather. Our different coverage plans provide protection from destruction and financial devastation across the state. Flood coverage offers protection against losses, so if you want to keep your home safe and your possessions secure, don't wait until it's too late! Let us keep your home and family afloat during this flood season.